friction.... yet another attempt

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:22:20 +0200

On 26-aug-04, at 23:12, Ryan Sowers wrote:

> I'm not talking about *extremely light* actions. I'm talking about
> *very free* actions with low friction. These are two entirely
> different things. You can have low friction and normal downweight.
>
> Bringing up Horowitz's piano confuses the matter by pointing at
> extremes. What does Horowitz's bizarre piano have to do with any of
> this?? As I understand it he also had super strong rep springs and
> hammers laquered up the kazoo. Its not a fair comparison.

I do not agree.
An extremely light piano offers almost no friction. I am talking about
an instrument playing under 40 grams.
A very-low-friction instrument is similar. Both are like formula 1
racing cars. If you blow on the keys you'll hear a whistle.

Your mentioning the rep springs and the lacquered hammers have nothing
to do with it. Light is light, either in weight or because of low
friction.
In both cases, the pianist has to be aware of the fact that a gram may
turn into an ounce, or more.

> I guess its some peoples opinion that a hammer swinging 9 times is
> *extreme*.
>
> One of Bob's original posts said:
>
> "Here's more detail on the pinning condition:
> The thinnest treble shanks swing in the 5-6 range.
> That's acceptable. The medium thickness shanks
> swing6-8. The bass/tenor s/f swing mostly 8 - 10, some
> 7."
>
> I think it's regretable to go through and repin these parts beyond
> evening up the few that stand out from the rest. If they don't wobble
> what's the problem?

The light pinning is in my opinion not so much the problem. Pianists do
have a problem though if they have trouble feeling let off and drop.
I personally have in the past often put McLube on anything moving with
as result that the action turned into a machine without any 'feeling'.
That's a problem, and that's what I am talking about.

I once worked for a very famous Russian pianist by the name Shura
Cherkaski.
He complained about his (my) piano in avery insulting manner, saying
that it was extremely heavy. He demonstrated this by reaching up to my
shoulder and squeezing my shoulder as hard as he was possible. (I
should have shot him right there and then but was afraid to lose my
job). Anyway, I sprayed the action with everything possible, thereby
reducing the down weight for about 10 grams in 2 minutes, after which
he happily played his whatever concerto and moved on to the next
sucker.

The next day I had to work for Mrs Alicia de la Rocha. She seriously
complained about the very same piano, saying that she was unable to
play a note, because it was way to light without any feeling at all.
I had to scrape off all the lubrication muck, which took me at least
hours after which she still was not happy.

I do know what I am talking about and I have been around for some time.
If you like a light playing and friction free piano, that's more than
fine. It does not mean that all piano's should be as light and friction
free as is possible.
Most pianists (most pianists) like to control their action. To control
a piano action, you need to have a force you put your energy in,
otherwise it's like an aeolian harp hanging in a tree, played by mere
wind.

André Oorebeek