DC ultimate system

Ruth Phillips webb50@comcast.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:37:23 -0400

Hi Ryan and list,
I wanted to try to answer these good questions about the Dampp-Chaser
system.

>Somebody posted that with the back cloth they reduce humidity related pitch
changes to 1 cent. That sounds very impressive. I wonder why Dampp-chaser
doesn't include it with their regular systems if it makes such a difference.

The goal is to keep the technician cost as low as possible while making the
system complete.

>I'm still curious if anyone has installed a front AND back system in the
same piano.

DC at one time came out with the Ultimate system, which had the tank inside
and dehumidifiers on the outside, with a cover.  It was more expensive, took
longer to install, but worked extremely well.  They continued their lab
testing and development until they were able to achieve the same results
with improved humidistats and the backside (or under) cover.  This gave the
technician the best price with best results.  The cover is most important in
cases of air flow.  Uprights with their backs to the wall don't generally
need this kind of treatment if sufficient wattage is used.

>Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter

On an unrelated topic - I was surprised to see that Guy Nichols has bought
SAMA and want to wish him well in this venture.  As a business owner, I feel
it's not only courteous but necessary to deal first directly with the
business if there is a problem, not take it public.  But any company or
dealership deserves a chance to fix something.  If they don't respond, then
go to the next step.  Tact is extremely important when we are in the
position of between customer and store.

In the past, Webb helped out answering finish questions and supplying some
finish materials, and we're both glad to hear the outcome is good.

Ruth Phillips