the A floats

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:03:54 -0500

>From Bod Davis,
By the way, even when I tune aurally, I don't spend 15 minutes, as you
suggest in a previous post, setting the A well inside half a cent.
. . . . . . . . . . . .  . .  . . . . . .  . . . . . .  . . . . .  . . .
.  . .  . . .  . ..  . . .
    To determine if A4 is within one cent takes 30 seconds if you use
tests.  I can't be sure about .5 cents unless I checked it with a
machine.  But then why would I be struggling with a fork?
   To _set_  it as close as you claim I might need 15 minutes ; ) (well
what seems like 15 minutes) as I am not the best at matching the fork as
I rarely hear a piano dead on.  I don't know about half a cent but  two
cents can be heard  without tests and I would not raise the piano only
two cents on my own prerogative.   If I raised it four cents it would be
set two cents above so I can't think of an occasion to where I would set
the string to .5 cents.
            You mention the orchestra floats but that it might could be
controlled.  I wonder if changes in the hall have some influence.  I
have always suspected that a piano floats during a performance to the
tune of 2 to four cents.    This notion comes from when I was asked by
the Musician's Union to tune a pit piano to A441, because they said, the
piano is at 440 by intermission (4 cents).    There was no guess work as
at that time a Korg crystal controlled needle tuner used  by the
orchestra also checked the piano   So I suggested the piano might by it
self drift this far down, and I adjusted the needle to demonstrate, but
if I find the piano right on 440 I will have to raise it to here, and
adjusted the needle half way between 441 and 442 because it should
settle.   He agreed and I suggested that if I needed to raise the piano
it might need a touch up before the show and he said, "We will call".
I quickly found out it showed the fork deviating from the heat of my
hand.  So I bought one.     I was scheduled  twice a week and always
found the piano at 441.  Which meant that the piano dropped  four cents
in a full house and then rose four cents in the dark.  All it needed was
your normal touch up which was amazing considering the use it got. (and
how much the A floated)  In six months I think I did one maybe two pitch
raises.
---ric  (the i  stands for "I am stable")