Big Hammers

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:23:57 -0400

Barbara.

Have you thought about a bottom lid for this piano. I've installed one in a
difficult hall and had great result. You only need sound reflective material
that is installed below the piano with an angle about the same as the top
lid. It can be tried easily. We had listeners with eyes closed and a
technician removing and installing the bottom lid, and all were unanimous
about the sound outpout increase in the hall.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
  Sent: August 30, 2004 1:01 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Big Hammers

  Hey all,

  Some of you may remember the thread last spring, voicing for a big, dead,
hall.  Still waiting for the bureaucracy to make up their minds, but in the
mean time I've been thinking a lot about the project and I'd like to have a
chat about hammer size.  The hall is huge (3500 seats or so), has lots of
carpet and poses a challenge for the piano's projection.

  I won't go into all the piano's issues (of which it has quite a few and I
can deal with them), but there is one area I'd like to hear your opinions.
Right now, the piano (Steinway D) has the biggest hammers on it that I've
ever seen.  Is it a fact that BIG hammers will help power and projection,
especially in a problem setting like this?   A friend has recommended that I
"leave them big."  Some days I agree with him and on others, I don't.  Of
course, I won't really know what's going to work until I dig in, but I'd
just like to hear what your experience has been.

  Thanks,

  Barbara Richmond, RPT