Jaurez Cosmetic piano restoration

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:16:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2004 1:23:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

Concerning clients who bought defective  pianos

You  wrote,
    "Both were bought  from dealers who sent them there to Juarez."

Red Flag.  It is the  dealers that who are liable.  They sold defective
merchandise.  If  they knew it,  it is fraud.

   >>>   Richard
    . So are you saying the work done  in Juarez is fraud but the dealers are
the only ones  culpable?
  Perhaps the question is when a dealer orders  action work in a Juarez what
is it they are buying or are there different levels  of effort or
customization being offered at different prices? Can a custom  balanced action be bought
with correct dimension parts etc.? This is a question  I think Guy would p
robably like the oppurtuntiy to  answer.

 If the work was a disaster as you state  how could the dealers not know,
which gets close to sales  fraud.  Whatever, they are responsible for what they
sell.  They (dealers) can sue who did the work, but it may be too  late after
they sold them. (this does not excuse shoddy work but if  dealers take it in
and then sell it that is almost getting worse)

>. >. Yes a compounding series of  unforntunate events for certain sure to
bite the end user every  time.
   Hey Dealers aren't piano techs & some  are pretty naive, unmechanical, &
just bad judges of what is acceptable  levels of piano cratsmanship. Frankly
some would be happier  selling  refrigerators
  I beleive that Guy pointed out there are dealer  responsiblilities &
Their(Sama) responsibilities. If they did refinish and  stringing & some local
tooner "did the action" whatever that might be,  well soon responsibility gets
spread around to a variety of different  parties. Heck, one could have three
different lawsuits(theoretically) on the  same piano. I'm assuming hypothetical
fraud negligence or misrepresentation of  course.
   In our shop every item in restoration  gets done under one business banner
& also one warranty if need be. It's  neat tidy & clients like it.
 On the occasion I do  belly or finish for a  client it comes with a 5 yr.
warranty as well. But I'm not reposible for the  action work or dampers etc.

 Were these dealers in Calif?  Calif has very  strict and specific laws about
this.  How long ago?  Less  than 30 days ago?  If so, they (the buyers) may
have rights no  other states offer.

   >>>Yes One in Ca. & it was  not a good one & legalities are being pursued.

      Before  you start work on the piano you might want to advise your
clients they  may have legal rights and should consult a  lawyer.

>> I Have, & it's good  advice

 You might want to consult a lawyer  before you start work.  Whatever, take
plenty of pictures.

> also good advice

The dealer should have had a tech check out the  pianos. So should the buyer.

now

 Your clients should have a lawyer check out their  case.  By not knowing to
advise them, you become much like the dealer who  "didn't know."

  >> Well they have been advised so  perhaps you assumed  I didn't?
  I'm not like the dealer  Richard

Professional ethics is  another matter.  It is better not to insinuate that a
 business in your profession does shoddy work until you sit down and  have
coffee with them first.

  True but whe yoou see two in a row. any way  Good advise & next time I'll
take it. I beleive were having coffee  now.

 :)  Stuff has been said here (Does  the list really need to know?) and the
sad part is from piano  tuners who aren't even sure what they are talking
about; that if directed  towards me, I would demand a retraction to my
satisfaction.

   That's certainly true but have you  noticed the amount of accusation on
list that is directed towards oh Steinway  for example & not many on list have
objected to the critism. So is it ok to  critise truly shoddy work or thing you
don't like or not. Should we  just ignore such things  like the  abusive
Alcholic bully in a family that every one knows is being abusive but no one
wants to acnowledge it because it's uncomfortable.
   Yes I get your unhappy vibes over the way  I handled it but I of all
concerned probably was least culpable in this mess  & I certainly didn't cause the
problems.
   I hold my tongue on this kind of thing  untill I see something that smacks
"shoddy work" resulting  in customer  related tradgedy. Then I get cranky. It
gives us all a bit of a black  eye.
    I've offered to apologize if the  responsibility for what I saw lies
elswhere & that's good enough for me  & those concerned. If it's a warranty issue
I'm sure it will be resolved.  The dealer in the A stwy is being sued if they
can be  found.

     Defamation  is still a crime and when you write it and then publish it,
it  becomes libel. And the publisher can be held liable which in this case is
PTG.

  > I beleive defammation is  an intentional malisicous attack on anothers
credibility & not the same as  an honest  observation of the facts &  a
repititon of a  clients story as reported by them. I think your inflating it.
Otherwise  much of what is read here on list would qualify under your definition for
defamation. You Lawyer types straighten me out on this if I'm  amiss.

Does PTG have a written policy or bylaw that says  "defamatory posts are not
permitted, and are the sole responsibility of the  poster?"  If not do I want
to be part of such a list?    Do I want to be part of a list where "esteemed
colleagues" get derogatory on,  well ........on un esteemed colleagues?

  It's been done frequently in case you've not  read lately many a recent
rancorous post in the past few  years.

 So you see how deep it can get just because of a  thoughtless rant(s)... er
excuse me, tocsin.

And why do we  have to go through it?
>> sorry you feel that way, it was hardly  thoughtless or toxic. Is this
personal?
   All due respect
   Dale

Richard Moody