Big Hammers

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:38:34 -0600

At 09:28 PM 8/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm interested in the belly brace for a Baldwin D.   What is the criteria=
=20
>for whether it might be needed?
>
>David I.

David,
         That's a tough one. On an S&S, it's a given, ever since they=20
"lost" the belly brace in that area and replaced it with a twig. On an=20
SD.... hmmm..... The best bet would be to do the install, and then get some=
=20
extra ears around while you adjust the turnbuckle and listen. If the tone=20
improves, the brace is helpful. If it doesn't, well, you've got an extra=20
150 bucks in your parts inventory. It can be subtle, but definitely=20
helpful. Take other listeners. The install is minutes. I guess you could=20
run a "dry" test with another brace of some sort, like a 2X4 and a wedge.=20
See if that helps, and then install the turnbuckle arrangement. I'd say=20
just stock one. You'll get a chance eventually.

Enjoy,
Guy