Big hammers

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:56:53 -0500

Hi Dale and Ric,

Yes, they are Steinway hammers from whenever.  They just struck me as =
being bigger than any I had ever seen on the Ds that I've worked on.  I =
have a #0 Steinway D hammer down in my collection of left-overs that =
isn't nearly as big as these.  You bet the action is heavy and I do =
expect a geometry problem (besides that there are other problems).  My =
original question, since these hammers were bigger than any I had =
experienced (the treble looked pretty big to me, too), was, would big =
hammers (like these--whether or not you think they're big) significantly =
increase output in an acoustically challenged hall?  =20

I'm not at liberty to go into the details at this time, but I can tell =
you this:  When I first saw this instrument and took the pictures =
(trying out my new camera), I wasn't expecting to be the person working =
on it.  I'll find out in a couple weeks or so if the project gets the go =
ahead.  If it is approved, I'll go back and and analyze it all and then =
I can give you all the data you want or at the end, just tell you how it =
worked out.  :-)

I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions.  I'm sorry I =
don't have all the technical details at this time.

Barbara Richmond

PS  Ric, I think the picture must be distorted.  I *hope* I would have =
noticed those knuckles--but then again, I'm due for new glasses (it's =
that over 40 thing)! =20

----- Original Message -----=20