Big hammers

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:50:34 +0100

Hmm...

Thing is that Steinway is pretty picky about establishing a 48-47 gram
down weight... 36 or so gram Balance weight... When they take care of a
hammer change they are carefull to duplicate hammer weights... at least
the Hamburg factory is.  So... if it plays heavy and these are origional
hammers... then perhaps there are other issues that are causeing the
weight. You seem to allude to a lack of maintainance... so by all means
clean up all friction points to get between 10 and 15 grams for each
key, and make a good regulation before concluding anything definitive
about action weight.

Big hammers... been a lot of talk this way and that.  I think it pretty
much boils down to that bigger hammers can help... but only to a point.
I dont really think getting heavier then I previously mentioned is a
good idea.  I know some have gone to extremes and added as much as 3
grams to already heavy hammers, reporting <<no problems>>... but I
simply cant imagine that kind of weight functioning well or feeling
good.  David Love and Andre expressed it well enough... place priority
on the playability of the instrument first.  You can gjerne use
reasonbly heavy hammers in the doing...  but just so.  Any extra umff
you need is best made up by some of the other means mentioned.  But a
good regulation with fine hammers can make a world of difference alone
as well.

Might I just add trying out a set of Ronsen Wurzens, or what Andre can
get you from this side of the pond would be well worth your while.  I've
tried a lot of hammers through the years... and simply dont find
anything to compare.  JMV.

Cheers
RicB