you can turn almost any concert animal into a roaring monster.

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:50:43 +0200

On 31-aug-04, at 22:50, Richard Brekne wrote:

> But a good regulation with fine hammers can make a world of difference=20=

> alone as well.

Barbara,
Richard just wrote the above words and I am absolutely and most=20
definitely of the same opinion.
It must by now be very clear to you that there is, of course, a limit=20
to hammer weight (and btw friction, we just had that profound friction=20=

discussion).
These Steinways were designed to play well and give a perfect tone.=20
When you buy heavier hammers, you cause big leverage problems and=20
friction problems so my answer would be : make sure you got the=20
'perfect hammers', install your new hammers, make a very powerful=20
regulation, tune da thing and use all your voicing experience.
I have come to the conclusion that you can change the tone of an=20
instrument completely by this procedure. The path you choose while=20
making the first voicing will decide the final tonal outcome. If this=20
instrument is 'healthy' you can bring it very far and probably far=20
enough, without any spielerei like heavier hammers, tons of hammer=20
dope, or whatever.

With the right hammers and the right skill you can turn almost any=20
concert animal into a roaring monster.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available