Piano Finder Fee

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 07:46:18 -0800

A few years ago, I had invited a technician to join the local Guild chapter.  The following incident caused him to be barred from entrance into the Guild.
The tech was hired to look at a S&S grand at our store.  We don't sell new Steinways, but had several used ones for sale.  The customer didn't like any of them, so they went to the Steinway dealer to look at new ones.  He was asked to evaluate one of the pianos there.  Without removing the action, he looked it over and declared it suitable for his customer.  The customer paid him for his services.  Later, he approached the salesperson and asked if there might be some spiff for bringing in his customer.  His reasoning was that our store (not Steinway franchise dealer) was going to give him one, so would they offer him one as well?  It wasn't arm twisting, but he did get a spiff from the dealer.  Another tech (Guild member) was present for the sale at the dealer.  When he found that this tech had received pay from both dealer and customer, he used his influence to have this tech barred from membership.
Paul McCloud
San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Sarah Fox
To: Pianotech
Sent: 12/24/2004 7:29:21 AM
Subject: Re: Piano Finder Fee

Hi Terry,

My Wissner was located through a third party who supposedly wanted a 10% finder's fee.  It turns out that the "real" fee he was trying to swing for himself (by lying to both buyer and seller) was much, much higher -- something like 50% over the seller's price.  (In the end, the deal didn't happen the way he had hoped.)  Anyway, 10% was considered fair in NYC for a deal in which the finder didn't really have to do any more than to put two parties in contact.  If you are doing other things for the buyer (e.g. evaluating the pianos), then I would think you should ask more.  Perhaps you could charge a fee per piano that you evaluate, plus 10% of the sale?

Peace,
Sarah