Piano Finder Fee

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:52:34 -0800

On the surface that seems a bit harsh.  Having a finder's fee which is
split between buyer and seller would not be an unusual arrangement and
would defer costs slightly from each party.  As long as there wasn't a
conflict of interest driving the sale.  I obviously don't know the
specifics surrounding the deal but I certainly see guild members doing
things that seem less ethical-maybe just more incompetent-than that and
are members in good standing.  It appears that the tech simply asked for
a fee after the fact.  No harm in asking.  If the dealer wanted to give
a "spiff" (never heard that word before), then that's up to the dealer,
it seems to me.  I wouldn't do it that way myself, but barring him from
membership in the guild?  Maybe a discussion of what is considered
ethical conduct in the guild would have been more appropriate.

More typically, a "finders" fee is paid by the customer who wishes to
employ your services and is separate from a "commission" paid by the
seller.  Finder's fees or commissions can either be a flat fee or a
percentage of the sale.  Commissions from the seller vary from dealer to
dealer and party to party and, like all such fees, are best negotiated
in advance.  This is separate yet from a fee for inspection in which you
are hired to go inspect a piano and might amount to a fee similar to a
service call.  Commissions for independent techs (different from a
commission if you are a dealer taking in a piano on consignment)
typically range between 3% and 15% probably averaging around 10%.