casters orientation - On topic - slightly scientific but not too much !

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:09:52 +0100

Hello List,

I had the opportunity today to make some little test on a recent 1
year old Steinway B, that is fitted with double large "concert
casters".

1? The casters oriented toward the front of the piano , the tone was
less full and less strong.
- I asked somebody to confirm that, and I used the VT 100 in Spectrum
mode to look at the peaks.
Doing the experiment while playing a definitive less strong 1st
partial with the casters in front.

2? the case was apparently coming from differences in bedding
(slightly less pressure on the keyframe, so I used a dial gauge
mounted in reverse direction (on a little wood support as the idea
have been given us by Ron Overs), and looked at it on the break glide
bolt while passing the casters from front to back. I have seen a
repeatable 1/10 gradation change of the dial gauge .

That mean that the caster oriented front I had slightly less pressure
on the little bedding screws

. Time was missing for more "scientific" experimentations, but the
change in bedding is evident.
Then I made the same experiment but plucking on strings (for 2 notes
only, I'll do better later).

Apparently, the spectrum analysis of the VT 100 shows also a slightly
stronger level for the 1st partial with the rollers oriented towards
the tail.

That should be interesting to investigate further, on pianos with less
large rollers. If the change is as noticeable, that should be one of
the first thing to investigate before bedding the keyframe, and that
should also be an advisable method to orient the casters toward the
inside of a piano in case lack of pressure in the middle seem evident,
and you have no time to open the piano (on the opposite, orienting the
rollers externally should lessen the pressure.

Indeed that may depend of the piano and the size of the casters. I
have been amazed years after year on how often it was necessary to
touch up the bedding. Seem that I missed one basic point there (never
too late !)

Greetings.

Horace of course the paper  strip bedding is not employed actually, on
tricky to bed keyframe like some 4 screws Renner hard wood stacks, or
if the Stack is so old the balance rail wood is very rigid like on
some 1900 .. S&S, the method to get a minimum contact with the dial
gauge, then add an even pressure is a must. I bed from the middle, so
the end are always done last, nowadays the pressure on the right/left
screws is not as clearly defined as on the center, the tone give good
information's there also.

BTW the best method for those stacks that don't "knock " easily is to
push 2 or 3 fingers on the key capsule while my hand is locked under
the pin block, that way I have a lot of force to push and a firm
reference. At the same moment with 2 fingers I lift (strongly) the
bedding screws, it is then possible to hear and test a somewhat soft
knock under the glide bolt (produced by the fingers pressure impulse
on the capsule of the key), and check the amount of pressure necessary
to lift the rail. (one of the Bechstein original factory method). The
method tend to compress a tad the balance punching, test for evenness
and add a very thin 'silk paper punching if necessary.

Best Regards to all.

Isaac OLEG