casters orientation - On topic - slightly scientific but not too much !

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:52:31 +0100

And I believe you are right, Jim, while Don seem to say that this
position is not recommended for KAWAI for some reason.

I'll experiment more with a dial gauge to check where the differences
are the most noticeable, and yes it plays on the tone because of the
balance rail first, but that seem to act also on the pressure on the
soundboard, or flexing the frame slightly, or whatever, I also have to
check more precisely than with peaks on the spectrum display of the
VT, but this is a simple method, as the peaks stay on the screen, if
when the casters are oriented back n strings plucked in any possible
manner to try to have the same strength I can't get it, there is
definitively a difference in 1 st partial strength. Well it looks
somehow fantasy, but it makes a little sense also, considering the
huge weight that change equilibrium point (the rear caster may play a
role as well in the mix then.

Recording and spectra analysis may be in order, I'll look for a DAT
recorder soon.

understanding well what happens can certainly help a little on some
occasion (too much down bearing or the opposite, if the effect is
noticeable enough).

The tone strength change with the action (playing the notes) was
certainly very noticeable, even by the orchestra manager that was
there. one way more thin, the other more normal.

Best -  Isaac