S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:43:52 EST

Bob writes:
<< It's also important to use test hammers that are similar to the final
weight
and voicing. The ideal position changes with weight and resilience. Renner
hammers will not position the same as NY hammers in the same piano, and raw
NY
hammers will not position the same as doped ones. >>

culpa mea!  I may have been less than clear about my test hammers.  I use an
indexing set of hammers to determine the bore distance, but when it comes time
to determine hanging distance, I use the hammers that will be installed.  If
you are careful to bore them tightly, they can be mounted on the shank dry and
still give a clear indication of best strike point.
sorry about that confusion.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT