A "Rubber Band Sound"

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:52:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Driscoll" <tomtuner@comcast.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 4:29 PM
Subject: FW: A "Rubber Band Sound"

> Subject: A "Rubber Band Sound"
>
> Yesterday, I spent some time with a Kawai Console, doing some voicing
> and
> tracking down rattles, buzzes, zings and, (to quote the client), "a
> rubber
> band sound". She even went and got a large rubber band to
> demonstrate!<G>
> The sound emits from F69, which is the first note w/o a damper. At
> first, I
> thought she was referring to the sustain, but on closer listening, sure
> enough, there is a sound that sounds like a rubber band, under tension,
> being plucked! Danged if'n I could isolate where it was coming from!
> Truly
> frustrating. Have any of y'all heard such a sound? It's a new one on me
> and
> I would really like to solve the problem, if possible. Feedback
> appreciated!<G>
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Yes, I've heard that sound -- from ribs separated from the soundboard next
to a soundboard crack.  Sometimes from other loose glue joints -- like bass
bridges or their aprons, or possibly a loose soundboard button or bottom
board, or soundboard edge not firmly glued to the liner (rare).  It's not
always a rubber band sound, but can be.  Could also be an object down in the
space between the soundboard and bottom beam, in back.  Or pieces of glue
squeeze-out around the edge of the soundboard, either inside or out.   Or a
loose caster that has no weight on it or a ferrule on a front leg, or a
piece of veneer that's separating.  Or hinge pins, or the long pin in the
fallboard or lid hinges.           Check nearby light fixtures, heating
vents, extension cords behind piano, especially if against soundboard.  I
realize it's not an out-and-out buzz, but sometimes if something loose is
partially restricted from vibrating loud enough to make a rattle or buzz, it
can make that rubber band sound -- more of a short hum.   Tighten every
accessible screw on the piano except the plate nose bolts.   --David
Nereson, RPT