consistent downbearing measurements

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 23:19:44 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2004 7:53:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:
List,
         I'm having some difficulties achieving consistent downbearing=20
measurements. I'm struggling with the Lowell gauge and each time I move it=20
and then attempt a repeat I start with a completely different reading that=20
I zeroed in before. The little "V"'s in the bottom of the feet don't seem=20
to sit very well upon the string in any segment. I think it's because the=20
tool isn't heavy enough so it rocks too easily. Are there any better tools=20
available and if not has anyone modified theirs to give less trouble? I'd=20
like to modify the Lowell gauge to use rare earth magnets as it's feet if=20
there's nothing else available. Any idea's on how to accomplish that?

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net=20
 Greg
   I find a light touch gives better reading. Get it set & just try to=20
balance it or hold it lightly.  I keep the feet fairly  well extended when e=
ver=20
possible for less instability.
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations=20