consistent downbearing measurements

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:16:58 -0600

My thinking is that the angle of deflection of the speaking length and =
the hitch end, are more an indicator of down bearing than is the segment =
that crosses the top of the bridge. Might be in error here as this sure =
in not something that real experience has taught me <G>
To me it is Plane Geometry, and I may be looking at it from the wrong =
Angle.
Why did I not purchase one of those 'flame suits' when they were =
available. Conrad!
Joe Goss=20
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:52 AM
  Subject: Re: consistent downbearing measurements

  Joe -
  Returning, for a moment, to the piano aspect of this issue, what's =
your reason for bypassing the bridge?  You'd get your net, though, in =
the case of a rounded bridge surface, you could get a false zero or =
negative reading.  (I don't think you can get a false positive, at =
least, I can't visualize it.) Also, you'd learn nothing about the =
individual front and rear components.  That was part of my issue with =
John's method.  He seemed to have little concern for other than the net =
bearing, and even on that, he had some ideas I found somewhat troubling. =
Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately for me) he's no longer contributing =
to these lists, so that's not an avenue to pursue.

  As for using a laser,  you'd STILL have to solve the stabilizing =
problem Greg spoke of.  Maybe you could come up with a Rare Earth =
Universal Mount, with which you could use a Lowell OR a Laser.  =
(LOLREUM!)  Are lasers affected by magnetic fields?=20

  But mainly I'm interested with my first question...why no bridge?

  David Skolnik