consistent downbearing measurements

Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:23:25 -0400

Joe -
Not sure why you think you'll be needing a flame suit.  A lawyer maybe.  <oi->

The "angle" of deflection is a hypothetical construct.  If the profile of
the bridge surface was the peak of a triangle, you could speak of an
"angle" of deflection, however, distortions in the bridge surface
(curvature or string held to bridge contact by pins) can alter the angular
perception of deflection.

Still, the challenge of accurately measuring and conveying  the nature of a
particular piano's string deflection, including the bridge, is, to me, a
separate question from how much or little there should be or how it does or
doesn't affect the instrument's qualities.  The answer to the original
question of the subject is to develop some finesse with the tool. Design
modifications would certainly help.

David Skolnik