Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:08:15 -0700

David,

Maybe you missed the posts about more efficient ways of replacing flange
cords (check the archives). If the action is in good shape, it's worth
doing this way and the work can be done, even in the field, in as little
as two hours. No regulating or hammer filing is necessary with this
method. In the shop I have a kit with all the tools and materials
required for this job, and so far I've always worked in the shop where
the coffee and music is better. And my wife does most of the work :-)
She's slow and careful and it takes her 2-1/2 hours.

Dave Stahl: with the right setup, you should be able to have all the
parts off and cord slots cleaned by 20 minutes into the job.  You need
to have a tool that cleans the slots in a couple of swipes (no solvent).
It would be even quicker, but dirtier, to just wire brush the old cords
away and start gluing in the new ones right away. A little of the old
glue might remain but the flanges are not visible anyhow so what's the
harm? If you get the glue within a half inch of the new cords, that 50
lb test fishing line or whatever isn't going anywhere under the pull of
those limp springs and you can put your efforts into making beautiful,
even-sized loops, which are visible.

Tom Cole