Soundboard Cleaning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:45:22 -0400

I did this once - but was able to wheel the piano outside to do it. =
Whose house do you use compressed air in to clean a dusty piano - and =
who pays the house-cleaning bill? I don't even like doing that in my =
shop!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert J Russell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 9:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Soundboard Cleaning

  List, the air compressor sounds like a good method to clean. I use a =
small shop vac that has reverse air flow. Definitely not as good as the =
air compressor, but not bad either. And a lot lighter to carry as well.
  Bob Russell, RPT=20

  Topperpiano@aol.com wrote:
    My preferred method for soundboard cleaning is compressed air.  Just =
got a new small one  - the Husky Easy Air from Home Depot that weighs =
only about 25 lbs.  I use it the same time as my vacuum.  Aim the nozzle =
and shoot, also holding the vacuum nozzle in the other hand.  I try to =
vacuum the piano first to remove the most of it, then hit it with both. =
The compressed air loosens dirt, and the vacuum gets the rest.  Just =
remember to put the compressor on a piece of cardboard so that any oil =
residue won't get on floors,  TP