Damper Stop Rail

Sun, 02 May 2004 11:57:15 +0200

Hey Joe !! nice to see you up again. Hows kicks ?

Joseph Alkana wrote:

> Way too easy! But you're right about approaching a problem with our
> diagnostic skills and critical thinking in gear and functioning
> sharply! Observation, observation observation.

Funny how you can look at something all day sometimes and see nothing...
or only what you want to eh ?

> OK, my real piano question: how should the damper stop rail be set in
> verticals?

Ah... this is easy... obvioulsy you want it to stop the damper from
banging into anything on the way out... as in the lower half banging
into the strings... or the head banging into the hammer shank or
something else.

Then you also want to avoid it actually moving out much more then it
moves when engaged by either the pedal or the key, as there is no need
for any more motion  and this can easily end up being felt to
prominantly at the key.

But then...  it has to be able to move enough so that it does not
inhibit either the pedal or the key in any sense.

Ideally, the damper lever should be fairly parallel with the string
plane and the damper lift from the pedal should be just the same or
perhaps an 1-2 mm greater then normal key play.  Add to that about 3 - 5
mm of travel for the stop rail... and all should be well.

> Thought about that the last time I tried to put a strip mute in a
> Baldwin 243  treble and I had no room to maneuver the strip in place.
> Please respond  on subject line "*Damper stop Rail"*. Seems to be a
> lot of variance out there among the various piano manufactures. Never
> ever found this subject in any of the books normally available.

Variety is .... well it  just is isnt it ? :)

Cheers
RicB