Damper Stop Rail

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@comcast.net
Sun, 2 May 2004 08:36:20 -0700

Thanks ric! I'm back to tuning  pianos about half time after the heart =
attacks. Guess I'll just drift into retirement and work as much as I =
want to and not sweat the pressure of full days. It was hard moving out =
of our house of 20 years and losing the shop I had, though. I'm back to =
doing key bushings on the kitchen table again!

You got me to thinking that a piano I service has a weird springy feel =
at the very end of the key stroke. I think I missed that one as a =
problem with the stop rail being too close toward the dampers. It's hard =
to feel problems in an upright key due to the damper pick-up by the =
spoon, vague let-off feel, back check engaging too soon. Even harder to =
see the problems in slow motion, as what you see isn't what you =
experience in real time speed. Does that mean I should just service =
grands?    :-)

Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@comcast.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 2:57 AM
  Subject: Re: Damper Stop Rail

  Hey Joe !! nice to see you up again. Hows kicks ?

  Joseph Alkana wrote:

  > Way too easy! But you're right about approaching a problem with our=20
  > diagnostic skills and critical thinking in gear and functioning=20
  > sharply! Observation, observation observation.
  > =20

  Funny how you can look at something all day sometimes and see =
nothing...=20
  or only what you want to eh ?

  > =20
  > OK, my real piano question: how should the damper stop rail be set =
in=20
  > verticals?

  Ah... this is easy... obvioulsy you want it to stop the damper from=20
  banging into anything on the way out... as in the lower half banging=20
  into the strings... or the head banging into the hammer shank or=20
  something else.

  Then you also want to avoid it actually moving out much more then it=20
  moves when engaged by either the pedal or the key, as there is no need =

  for any more motion  and this can easily end up being felt to=20
  prominantly at the key.

  But then...  it has to be able to move enough so that it does not=20
  inhibit either the pedal or the key in any sense.=20

  Ideally, the damper lever should be fairly parallel with the string=20
  plane and the damper lift from the pedal should be just the same or=20
  perhaps an 1-2 mm greater then normal key play.  Add to that about 3 - =
5=20
  mm of travel for the stop rail... and all should be well.

  > Thought about that the last time I tried to put a strip mute in a=20
  > Baldwin 243  treble and I had no room to maneuver the strip in =
place.=20
  > Please respond  on subject line "*Damper stop Rail"*. Seems to be a=20
  > lot of variance out there among the various piano manufactures. =
Never=20
  > ever found this subject in any of the books normally available.

  Variety is .... well it  just is isnt it ? :)

  Cheers
  RicB