Removing Celluloid Keytops?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 02 May 2004 14:29:12 -0500

>Thanks! I guess the "oldtimers disease" short circuited my think process. A
>jig would definately do the trick. However, it'd have to be a big sucker, as
>my drill table is large and I don't want to get my paws anywhere near that
>"Safety"Planer, (a misnomer IMO! One of my apprentices got her hand chewed

Joe,
Good enough. Then just make a REALLY BIG quick and dirty jig! I figured a
small one not much bigger than the key would be easier to slide around
under the cutter (especially for an old guy). <G>

>up pretty bad with one of those things!!!:-(), just in case the "taper jig"
>causes the planer to "kick"!!!

Shouldn't be much different from the drill press table if it's made of
something solid.

>  As for the prying off, I've not had very good luck with the Celluloid, in
>that regard.

Me either, except for getting lucky now and then. I at least try it anyway,
before I give up and plane them off, in hopes of avoiding the stench.

>On a similar note: The last key, (in this case #85), is extremely cut away,
>right up TO the key top surface! Because of this, the key trimmer won't have
>anything to guide off of and will really screw it up, DAMHIK!<G> Any
>thoughts on that?

Sure. I suspect you can afford to hand file one out of a set, couldn't you?
That might not be the thought you wanted, but it's what I would probably do
under the circumstances.

>  Every once in a while I get one of these
>"posers" in the shop. Sure makes the juices flow.

Not as much as trying to figure out how to fix something that didn't work
out quite like the plans specified, but working out processes before the
fact is a lot more fun than correcting results.

>Since this list is a great
>source of different ways of looking at things, I thought I'd give y'all a
>whack at some of the weird stuff.<G>

We're all pretty whacked already, I'd say, but another smack in the brain
cells now and then never hurts.

Go forth, jig, and plane.

Ron N