Renner repetition springs

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 22:35:56 -0500

I finally quit miking all the springs as I did for several years.  They are
always well numbered and in order in Renner wip sets.

I can't see how pins could be too loose short of wobbling which would not
happen in Renner.  It would be a good thing to have them pre broken-in.  But
having springs loose on several they were not what I would consider
loose....or tight.  Years ago, I did have a couple sets of shanks from
Renner that wobbled and needed larger center pins but a mention to Lloyd
took care of the problem.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

 -----Original Message-----
From: Topperpiano@aol.com [mailto:Topperpiano@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 1:06 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Renner repetition springs

  Jim was correct in that the whippens could have been packed out of order
or put on in the wrong order and the springs of incorrect diameter would be
either too strong or too weak, which of course would cause regulation
problems.  The pinning could be very loose, primarily on the rep lever
causing the regulation of the spring to be too strong.  I have had actions,
mostly older, that the combination of pinning problems, all centers way too
loose to combine into this problem.  I have generally solved it also with a
pre weakening step on brand new parts. TP