"TP" (OT)

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 14 May 2004 18:01:14 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/04 2:39:48 PM, rnossaman@cox.net writes:

> The difference is that Thump has his real and presumably actual name in the
> header, so we know who he is.

To me, the difference is more a matter of common courtesy, and of following
decorum.   Everyone (almost everyone) signs their real name on this list.   In
fact, when I made my first post, several years ago, I signed my first name
only, and was reprimanded by others on the list to include my entire name.   And
that's fine.   They signed their posts with their entire name.   Why shouldn't
I?   That's just one of the rules of this little society.

A few individuals seem to feel that the rules of society don't apply to them.

The fact that one can ascertain who the individual is by looking at the
header does not negate the fact that as long as I've been on the list, people are
expected to sign their real names on their posts.   It's a common courtesy we
extend to each other.

And it's really quite refreshing, isn't it, to ask for such honesty and
disclosure on the internet of all places?    We can make this list anything we want
to... But is that what we want?   Anonymity from each other?   I've said some
pretty inflammatory things lately, but I'll sign my name because it's a
custom of this list that I feel is one of its assets.   If you want to flame me,
go.   It's your right.   But at least you'll know whom you're directing your
flames at.

I sign my name, won't you do the same?

Tom Sivak