Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 09:59:39 EDT

       The Andre - The acknowledged Wurzen felt champion
 Friendly greetings to you. Good post
  =20
The more I read about this issue, the more I come to the conclusion=20
that:
There is actually a discussion going on between the inhabitants of two=20
different continents, The USA and Europe.
For some reason, there has been created a difference in the making of=20
hammers. I do not know why.
>> They may be different but the Wurzen felt on both continents I believe ar=
e=20
getting a bit closer in design. & that's OK

This difference in making hammers and at the same time making use of=20
separate felt markets, has created different methods in making hammer=20
felt, hammer heads, and ultimately a different piano sound.
Roughly speaking, we may now say that there are piano's with doped=20
hammers, and there are piano's with non doped hammers.
Both continents make use of a kind of hammer dope, but the difference=20
in the use of said hammer dopes is caused by the different felt makers,=20

the different hammer makers and finally the difference in sound,=20
favored by the different kind of pianists, depending in which continent=20
they live.
   > I believe this is accurate

For years, I have spoken about an old/new felt that came back after=20
more than 40-50 years. It is of course the Wurzen felt, brought back to=20
us by Jack Brand, the owner/director of the Wurzen factory in Wurzen,=20
Germany.
Together with Richard Brekne we explored the latest AA Wurzen quality=20
on an older Yamaha C3 grand. I dare say the fine result we achieved was=20
most certainly due to the improved quality of the hammer felt.
At the same time, we now see that very same felt being sold in the US=20
and Canada, and we notice that that very same felt is treated in a=20
completely different way, namely with hammer dope.>>  =20
>> I feel the need to clarify a point of fact about this statement. Our=20
discussion of juicing hammers may I have lead some to believe that the Ronse=
n=20
Hammers always need to be treated & that's simply not true.(or stwy hammers=20=
for=20
that matter) For the sound I want typically some sets(Ronsen) require a smal=
l=20
amount of needling in the middle octave to open the sound. For my ear I like=
 a=20
thin solution in the bass(but not always) but the tenor & trebles are usuall=
y=20
left alone except light filing and ironing. Most of this experience has been=
=20
with the Abel felt. =20
   The Wurzen felt is another story & I personally have only installed one=20
set so far & am waiting to install a few more sets before an accurate assess=
ment=20
can be made. However I can tell by examining the sets on hand that we have=20
something special & am eager to have more experience soon. For what its wort=
h=20
I'm not sure its as clear cut as your above statement but the acceptance of=20
juicing hammer in the States is more common for sure.
  =20
  Friendly  Yankee regards
    Dale Erwin

It shows clearly that we can have a discussion for sure, but methods=20
differ, and tastes too.
How can we talk about a difference in taste?
    Candidly with respect.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek