jig

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 21:20:10 EDT

       HI  Greg
   Its a Novelty, a sales tool & an educational device. How useful you find=20
it is probably up to you. However, until I made this tool I had no idea as t=
o=20
what was actually happening in the hammer & this is visual fascination.
    Also Different types of hammer respond differently in the flex-o-meter.=20
The hammers that don't compress very much over & down to the molding also ha=
ve=20
restrictive movement in the shoulders & for me I know from experience this i=
s=20
a hammer to avoid as I have difficulty getting the tone I want. Comparing a=20
new quality hammer to an existing hammer out of a clients piano that really=20
needs hammers is verifying what you're saying. As is said a picture is=20
worth.......... Yes, It would be better if the tail rested on something soli=
d but then=20
there would need to be some mechanism to adjust for various tail lengths and=
=20
felt sizes. This was simply & convenient. I don't think it would matter. You=
'll=20
see what is most instructive.
    Dale   Erwin
Dale,
         How useful is this jig really? I've never seen a hammer supported=20
under the low shoulder are like your jig does. Perhaps if it were made to=20
support under the wooden end you might have a better representation of=20
what's actually going on under deformation. Then again, perhaps there would=20
not be an appreciable difference.

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net=20