help with metallic sound when playing octaves in Wurlitzer spinet

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 22:59:16 -0500

Mary Neumann, RPT, Madison Chapter, has asked me to pose this problem to =
you all.  I'll try to get more details from her, but thought I would =
pass the question on in case it is familiar to someone:

I tuned a wurlitzer spinet which seemed just fine until I got into the =
bass section. If I played a note by itself, no problem, but if I played =
octaves going down the first 6 notes or so, I heard this weird metallic =
ring on impact. It sounds like when a damper block at the bass-tenor =
break is rubbing the crossing string. The piano has the typical nose =
bolts holding the action in everywhere except at the tenor-bass break =
where there is a long bolt threaded thru from the front. I'm not sure =
what to do so thought I'd ask you to put on your thinking cap! Thanks! =
Mary

Mark Ultsch,
Assoc., Madison Chapter