help with metallic sound when playing octaves in Wurlitzer spinet

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 18 May 2004 06:01:12 -0400

 >I tuned a Wurlitzer spinet which seemed just fine until I got into the =
 >ass section. If I played a note by itself, no problem, but if I played =
 >ctaves going down the first 6 notes or so, I heard this weird metallic =
 >ing on impact. It sounds like when a damper block at the bass-tenor =
 >reak is rubbing the crossing string.

My immediate thought is that the block is separating from the back causing
the bottoms of the damper levers to hit the strings.

A sign to look for is that this also has caused the damper to be lifting late,
if it was timed right in the first place.

My second thought was a cracked/split bass bridge pin line but that would have
been more obvious.

Wurlitzers are notorious for coming apart at the seams. Last year the bass
side of the case
was loose enough to cause bass damper misalignment but not loose enough to
immediately notice,
the back had separated too, top and bottom.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@comcast.net