Ragtime/Honky Tonk tuning, was out of tune

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 18 May 2004 06:14:52 -0400

Here's another view of the tuning scheme for the topic.
I received this from a lurker who doesn't want to take
the heat of proposing such blasphemy.

 >The ragtime composers and performers I've tuned for greatly
 >prefer a full bore Well Temperament. That is, until they play
 >in Modified Meantone. Then they feel like they've really come home
 >...especially likes a tuning that has 26 cent thirds in Gb, Db and Ab,
 >(and 23 cents in B) I think that is important evidence in regarding
 >Ragtime/Honky-Tonk tuning.

RBI's instead of RBU's. (Rapidly Beating Intervals instead of Rapidly
Beating Unisons)
In other words, a dissonant unison is not necessary to produce the harmonic
tension.
Not sacrificing tone for experssion.

Regards from the Radical Edge,

Jon Page, piano technician