Plugging capstan holes

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 May 2004 11:39:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Would anyone care to offer some advice on plugging capstan holes?  They are often countersunk, so if you glue in a dowel that's level with the top of the key there will be a gap or open ring around the dowel.  If you happen to be drilling near this area it makes the bit wander.  If you epoxy in a dowel and fill in the gap with epoxy it's pretty hard to level them until the epoxy hardens.  So you essentially have to leave the dowel sticking out a bit and the epoxy mounded up a bit.  This means a lot of sanding or filing after the epoxy hardens.  My current modus operandi is to glue in a dowel that's a bit shorter than the hole and punch it in so that it's a little below the top of the key.  I then fill in the divot with epoxy and level with a razor blade before the epoxy sets.  Other ideas?  Does anyone fill in the entire hole with epoxy?

Phi Ford