Plugging capstan holes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:56:08 EDT

<< My current modus operandi is to glue in a dowel that's a bit shorter than
the hole and punch it in so that it's a little below the top of the key.  I
then fill in the divot with epoxy and level with a razor blade before the epoxy
sets.  Other ideas?  Does anyone fill in the entire hole with epoxy? >>

    The West System has a filler (410 Microlite Fairing)  that can be added
to their resin so that the result is a material that is quite near the density
of pine.  If you experiment a little, you can find a mix that will fill the
hole and leave you with an easy to re-drill chore.  Too much and it won't pour
down to the bottom, too little and the resin plug is harder than the key.  When
you fill the keys, you may need to keep adding a little as the mixture
continues to slowly fill the holes,(a pinprick in the bottom of the hole will allow
air to escape, but don't forget the wax paper under the key!)
   I like to add the mix until there is a slight hump where the hole used to
be and then file it flush after several hours.  If you wait until the stuff is
fully cured, it is a little more difficult to finish it off cleanly.
   The only other alternative I can think of is to plug the holes and then
countersink a 3/8" hole and then plug that, but that seems like a LOT of extra
work.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT