hammer crowns tearing apart (was Dolge)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 25 May 2004 11:18:52 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2004 3:01:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
davner@kaosol.net writes:
original "diamond" shape.  Anytime I've filed hammers on a Yamaha, not only
is it difficult to find a "layer", but the crown spreads apart even worse
from the filing than it already had been from the string cuts.  So the inner
part of the hammer must be compressed too much or the outer part is
stretched too much, or both.
    If the tone is too bright after the filing, then any voicing with
needles near the strike point (even if it's not right ON the strike point)
makes the crown spread apart even more.  It's very frustrating and I'm not
sure how to handle this problem.
    --David Nereson, RPT
   Dave
  I don't think that tension is the culprit but densified felt. Yamaha
hammers are a piece of work. Some of these are  are just pressed & densified way too
hard. In fairness though some are better than others. I've both succeded and
failed, IMO ,voicing different vintages of these rascals.
   Dale