Tuning Devices

Wed, 26 May 2004 19:15:49 +0200

David wrote:

> I have recently started learning to tune pianos.  I am interested in
> tuning devices that will assist me in learning to tune and when I
> start tuning for pay.  I have heard and read about numerous brands and
> types.  These include the Accu-Tuner, Peterson AutoStrobe, Reyburn
> CyberTuner, and Sabine Tuners to mention a few.  I am currently using
> a Seiko ST 767 Chromatic Tuner which I get the impression may not be
> very accurate for pianos, works great for my guitar.  Any input would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> David McCausland

You can buy all kinds of machines and softeware combinations these
days.  And you will hear that this or that aparatus or program is far
superior for all maner of reason. For my part I will recommend that
your  order and purchase Rick Baldersins book "On Pitch" and download a
copy of Tune Lab 97 for your portable PC. This will cost you a net of 25
USD for the book (last time I checked) and 40 USD for the shareware fee
(which I feel everyone using the program should gladly pay).

Tunelab 97 allows you some unique manual control over how to create
tuning curves and compare intervals that is much easier to accomplish
then virtually all other alternatives.  This ability goes extremely well
with study of Baldersins book. If you like I can privatly provide you
with some help getting started with sorting out how to apply Baldersins
theory materal with the Tunelab 97 softeware.

After some time you will perhaps want to upgrade your ETD device to
something a bit more sophisticated that at the same time makes less
demands on your intellect for the practical job of tuning.  On the other
hand... this approach may well lead you to deciding that ear tuning,
once thoroughly understood and practiced... is the way to go.  Or you
may just fine that Tune Lab 97 as a supplement to the ear and mind is
plenty good enough.

Cheers
RicB

ps  The Baldersin book is available from the PTG home office.

Welcome to Pianotech!