(no subject) - pitch correcting.

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 08:57:13 -0400

Farrell wrote:

>Gee, over 1,000 resulting posts for "deaf" or "blind" tuning in the
>archives. I've spent a half-hour so far and got nothing. Maybe just a hint?

I'll try to help..although my nomenclature may need some work..

With a piano that hasn't been tuned since(insert your own analogy), go
to C5 and turn the R unison pins of all the notes to C8. This is _after_
you get a feel if the piano/pins/wire can handle it..you don't listen to
the note..you're just turning tuning pins. I was shown this trick a long
time ago by Ken Burton here on Pianotech. I shared it with mentors LB
Crabb and John Blick. They thought it was a great idea..then I sat in a
Mr. Sadigursky(sp) class at one convention. His class was on pitch
correction, and he was doing the same thing. Please note that you don't
have to crank the tuning pins..the purpose of this is to get the ball
rolling as far as where the pins need to be when you're finished. One or
two 'clicks' of the pins(if you're lucky to have those clicks) is all
you need.

I have gone one step further(i believe..i don't recall Mr. Sadigursky
doing this, but I could be wrong)..I now go to the L unison tuning pins
also and just slightly move the pins. I do not move them as far as the R
unisons..no where near as far..approx. 1/2 as far as the R unisons.

What happens, I believe, is there is increased tension at that part of
the plate, or, you are 'prepping' the plate. If you're using a Visual
Aide to tune/pitch raise and you're tuning/raising from the bass up
tuning unisons as you go, by the time you get to C5, the entire plate
tension has started to equalize, and the notes from C5 up will be more
stable the first time around. This method also works for aural tuners
who strip-mute the entire instrument and tune the middle strings first.
I've done it both ways, visually as well as aurally with the same
results: The treble stays much more stable once you get there and get it
in tune.

When I pitch-raise using a visual aide(100% of the time now..it's the
right tool for the job), I measure where A4 is at..let's say it's -60c.
I use the SATll, so after I have that measurement, I get my FAC
numbers..keeping in mind the the piano is -60c. Once the FAC's are
obtained, I start in the bass, using NO offset..yet. Once I get to the
last single wound string note, THEN I offset where THAT note is , and
use that until I get to the bass/tenor break where I offset again.

I personally do not like pulling bass wire too far above its designated
area, and this method has served me well since I was shown this
trick/method.

As you're working your way up the piano, pay attention to how far from
pitch the notes are that you're tuning. I find myself, using this method
of 'prepping the plate', offsetting much less as I work my way up the
piano. After the bass/tenor break, I may offset one more time around C4
to G4, depending on how flat the instrument is and how the instrument
'feels' to me..and that's as many times as I offset doing a pitch
raise..that's it.

I am of the opinion that there is no sure fire way to get a piano from
-60c to on pitch and stable in one pass..BUT..there are methods to get
it to pitch with less work AFTER the first pass. The method I have
described(hopefully adequetely) has been my modus operendus since Ken
Burton explained it to me here, and I had verification from the Mentors
and Mr. Sadigursky's demonstration.

There's no sure-fire way to get it done right during the first
pass..let's face it..it's been HOW LONG? since it's been tuned, and in 1
hr. you're gonna play Superman/woman and get this instrument at pich AND
stable? I don't think so, but the method I have described, with
practice/experience, will, in my opinion, make the task of pitch
correction much less strenuous and maybe, just maybe, more profitable as
you get faster doing it.

Your mileage won't vary too much,

Phil Bondi(Fl)