RPT Tests, An Observation

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:34:00 -0700

At 10:21 AM 7/31/2005, "Alan Barnard" <tune4u@earthlink.net>
  wrote:
>I notice every month in the journal there are many more "new
>members" than there are "new RPTs".  It seems like, over time, the
>numbers ought to be almost the same, discounting only non-tuning
>members. I have my theories. There were quite a few who took exams
>in Kansas City, but are not now RPT's. Are we undermotivated? Underprepared?
>
>Your thoughts?
>
>One other thing: Some regions have pretty good accomodation for
>people who want to take exams. Others, it seems, have very limited
>numbers of opportunities--few CTEs and TECs, few willing mentors,
>perhaps, or people willing to set up and run exams.
>
>I don't want to make it "easy" to become an RPT, but if there are
>barriers having nothing to do with the talent, knowledge and
>interest of Associate members, they need to be removed, methinks.
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem, Missouri

Alan,

Piano tuning, repairing and regulating are skills. To develop skills
one needs to:
1. Acquire the theoretical knowledge underlying the skills
2. Learn correct techniques (and sometimes unlearn incorrect ones)
3. Develop fluency and speed through repetitive practice.

This is what it takes to be a skilled technician - and this is what
it takes to pass the RPT exams. The exams are timed, so speed and
fluency are essential.

Because the training available to most aspiring piano technicians is
so haphazard - catch as catch can, as you so rightly pointed out in
your post - it is difficult for candidates to prepare for the exams
or even know if or when they are prepared. Yes, some of us (like Joe
Garret, for example) do volunteer lots and lots of time and effort to
teach and coach others. But really, can we expect to be able to train
2000 aspirants to RPT status using strictly volunteer labor? That is
absurd... There need to be alternatives...

But then, again, I have been coaching, teaching and examining in the
Technical Exam area for more years now than I care to own up to, and
let me assure you of one thing: all the classes and the coaching in
the world will do you no good, if you don't spend time practicing
your skills to develop speed and fluency. At some point a candidate
must make that commitment of time to develop his or her skills - and
not expect to do it all on his or her clients' time and money...

So, there is much to be done in providing a well organized curriculum
and study sequence for those who wish to develop their skills and
prepare for the exams - the PACE program barely scratches the surface
(it is essentially a basic skills course, in itself not adequate to
fully prepare a technician, and may - if  used incorrectly - actually
mislead students into counterproductive approaches). And all the
classes and coaches in the world will not exempt aspiring RPT
candidates from spending time on practice...

Israel Stein