RPT Tests, An Observation

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:26:42 EDT

Alan,

I will offer my input, as one who has just taken the test(this  morning)--and
not done as I expected!  The parts I worried about and ended  up spending
most of the time preparing for were the parts I ended up having less  trouble
with.

The parts I didn't prepare as much for because I felt I knew the material
well enough....well, I'll leave it at that and chalk it up to a learning
experience.  Next time I'll know EXACTLY what I have to do.

Time is of the essence, but don't get nervous.  Nerves cause mistakes  and
backtracking costs precious time.  Be methodical, know the material,  and go for
it.

I'll be back!

Dave Stahl

a message dated 7/31/05 4:35:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
custos3@comcast.net writes:

At 10:21  AM 7/31/2005, "Alan Barnard" <tune4u@earthlink.net>
wrote:
>I notice every month in the journal there are many more "new
>members" than there are "new RPTs".  It seems like, over time,  the
>numbers ought to be almost the same, discounting only non-tuning
>members. I have my theories. There were quite a few who took exams
>in Kansas City, but are not now RPT's. Are we undermotivated?  Underprepared?
>
>Your thoughts?
>
>One other thing:  Some regions have pretty good accomodation for
>people who want to take  exams. Others, it seems, have very limited
>numbers of  opportunities--few CTEs and TECs, few willing mentors,
>perhaps, or  people willing to set up and run exams.
>
>I don't want to make it  "easy" to become an RPT, but if there are
>barriers having nothing to  do with the talent, knowledge and
>interest of Associate members, they  need to be removed, methinks.
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem,  Missouri

Alan,

Piano tuning, repairing and regulating are  skills. To develop skills
one needs to:
1. Acquire the theoretical  knowledge underlying the skills
2. Learn correct techniques (and sometimes  unlearn incorrect ones)
3. Develop fluency and speed through repetitive  practice.

This is what it takes to be a skilled technician - and this  is what
it takes to pass the RPT exams. The exams are timed, so speed and
fluency are essential.

Because the training available to most  aspiring piano technicians is
so haphazard - catch as catch can, as you so  rightly pointed out in
your post - it is difficult for candidates to  prepare for the exams
or even know if or when they are prepared. Yes, some  of us (like Joe
Garret, for example) do volunteer lots and lots of time  and effort to
teach and coach others. But really, can we expect to be able  to train
2000 aspirants to RPT status using strictly volunteer labor? That  is
absurd... There need to be alternatives...

But then, again, I  have been coaching, teaching and examining in the
Technical Exam area for  more years now than I care to own up to, and
let me assure you of one  thing: all the classes and the coaching in
the world will do you no good,  if you don't spend time practicing
your skills to develop speed and  fluency. At some point a candidate
must make that commitment of time to  develop his or her skills - and
not expect to do it all on his or her  clients' time and money...

So, there is much to be done in providing a  well organized curriculum
and study sequence for those who wish to develop  their skills and
prepare for the exams - the PACE program barely scratches  the surface
(it is essentially a basic skills course, in itself not  adequate to
fully prepare a technician, and may - if  used  incorrectly - actually
mislead students into counterproductive  approaches). And all the
classes and coaches in the world will not exempt  aspiring RPT
candidates from spending time on practice...

Israel  Stein