Restringing the Middle section of Michael G's S&S 'A'

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:51:47 -0700

A pip is a small seed ("orange pip").

I assume you have the horn wedge in place before you start tensioning? Duct
tape?

I usually neaten as I go -- not full tension, but enough to settle the
coils into some decency. I hate the feeling that I have all those messy
coils to deal with at once! That said, I admit that I'm quite slow at
stringing, though I get where I'm going.

Do you put a half twist on the bass wire when installing? Lack of that
might affect the liveliness of the tone, possibly more than the passage of
time before installing. I wonder if the fellow who complained about tone
tried going back and twisting the wire? There's that _very useful tool_
which takes the hitch pin loop and presses it down over the hitch pin.

Susan