newbie questions

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:07:31 -0500

Uhhhhhhh .... no.

4ths can and do beat at 1 bps or (for the truly brave) up to about 2 bps. 5ths should NEVER make this much noise. In any octave the 4th must beat faster than the 5th.

Center-piano fifths roll like swells on the ocean, 4ths have a true (albeit slow) beat.

I can't imagine having equal beating 4ths and  5ths within any octave ... maybe something has been misunderstood or misstated.

Cheers ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Geoff Sykes
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/12/2005 1:08:48 AM
Subject: RE: newbie questions

You said: In a C to C octave the lower 5th interval C to G will be the same beat rate as the higher 4th interval G to C.

As I continue practicing my aural tuning skills I'm discovering all kinds of "Aha!" relationships. The above relationship is one of them. Which leads me to today's naive question: Is this also true when the 4th & 5th are switched? IE: In the C to C octave described above, is the lower 4th interval, (C to F), then also the same beat rate as the higher 5th interval, (F to C)?

Geoff Sykes
Assoc. Los Angeles