Problem Tuning A49 to Tuning Fork

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:20:50 -0400

I am having a problem tuning A49 on my piano to the tuning fork when I =
start tuning the temperament. I mute one of the two strings of F21, =
sound the tuning fork and listen to the beat rate. I then would like to =
be able to play F21 and A49 and adjust the centre string (side strings =
muted) to provide the same beat rate. The problem is that I can't play =
both these notes and adjust the tuning pin to hear when the beat rate =
becomes correct. The distance between these two notes is too far and =
requires two hands to play them, so I can't adjust the pin as well.=20

My piano is a Yamaha G3 5' 3" grand, and it was bought in the UK. It =
only has two pedals and doesn't have a sostenuto action, so I can't use =
that to keep F21 sounding while I play A49 with one hand and manipulate =
the tuning hammer with the other. The only solutions I can think of are =
to somehow disable the damper of F21 or to put something heavy on the =
key after it has been played to hold it down.

Until now, I adjust A49 until the pitch sounds the same as the fork and =
then check the beat rate with F21. It is a trial and error method, and =
isn't very satisfactory. It would be better to hear the change in beat =
rate until it becomes exactly right.=20

Do you have any suggestions what the best solution might be? Thank you =
very much.=20

Robert Finley