CA Glue

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:15:54 -0500

As to the first point, Susan, NO!! (Thankfully!)  To quote a Ph.D. in =
the
field (I'm more food/flavor chemistry):
=20
Cyanoacrylate glues contain the group H2C=3DCH-CN: Where the =3D =
represents a
double bond between two carbons and there is a triple bond between the
carbon and nitrogen of the CN. CN is the 'cyano' group, and a =
three-carbon
chain with a double bond next to another type of multiple bond (or some
other form of electron rich group such as a radical or anion) is an
'acrylic' group -- the combination gives a relatively high reactivity to =
the
compounds and allows them to polymerize like a plastic. Many non-toxic
compounds contain both types of groups, and many medicines have cyano
groups. Along with this group, there are other chemicals and can be =
other
chains attached to that cyanoacrylate group in place of one or more of =
the
hydrogens.=20
There is NO, NONE, NADA cyanide released on curing these glues and
hardening. There are some obnoxious fumes released -- some of them just
parts that boil out from the heat of the curing reaction. BUT, whenever =
an
organic chemical that contains nitrogen is burned, some =
cyanogen/hydrogen
cyanide is released. This happens with tobacco, meat, veggies, fireplace
wood, etc. This release is worst when there is not enough oxygen present =
in
the burning zone to ensure complete combustion -- so if there is a lot =
of
smoke formation, there is more likelyhood of cyanide formation.
Sorry if that's more chemistry than you wanted, but I think it makes the
point.  Watch out for smoking rags, etc!=20
To the "kicker" issue, I assume that's an accelerant?  Anything with =
water
(a VERY WEAK lye solution would be better) is going to work.  Elmer's =
may
just be getting in the way of the polymerization.  How is the smell
irritating (acrid, ammonia, etc)?  That may give some indication of =
what's
going on.=20
John Delmore
=20