CA Glue

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:20:02 -0700

Well, now, John, that's good to know.

Okay, NO BURNT MEAT, thanks just the same! I now have another reason to
dislike char-broiled meat, and to be glad I like lamb rare.

The "kicker" full of nasty stuff did indeed accelerate the cure to the
point that a lot of heat was released.

However, the Elmer's -- now, that's another kettle of fish! The Elmer's
doesn't give off a nasty smell when it meets the CA -- just the normal CA
smell. Heat is released, to the point where if one presses two ends of
bushing cloth together (as when preventing pedal rod jingles) one can feel
the heat through the cloth. I've never seen smoke come up from using CA and
Elmer's together, but the CA seems to set up more firmly than if left to
its own devices.

Titebond seems to work exactly the same way as Elmer's, and I imagine the
yellow carpenter's glue will as well. I'm sure it's the water which is
getting the CA to set up -- however, the "glue trick" as I've described it
in the Journal uses a very tiny amount of CA with a relatively larger
amount of Elmer's, and this seems to set up just fine, and quickly. In this
case, the CA could be considered to be holding the joint together after a
couple of seconds, but after 1/2 hour or so, the Elmer's will have set up,
so that the strength of bond over time does not really depend on the CA.

Possibly the water in the glue, by absorbing the heat, keeps the fumes down
by preventing smoking. Anyway, it seems quite benign to me, and I've used
it for years to glue rubber buttons, shims, loose veneer, ecsaine (Corfam
replacement), bushing cloth, unusual action parts which are hard to clamp,
bits of leather on trapwork, ivory, split keysticks, little bits of jigsaw
work, -- what have you. I don't generally use it to glue things to metal.

If one uses lots of the two glues, the squeeze-out seems sort of clotted
and foamy. It is white, and doesn't dry clear like Elmer's. It usually
pulls away easily (as a string) once it has set for a few minutes, which
can be a plus. When gluing rubber buttons, I've sometimes had trouble
putting little enough glue on, since the squeeze out can trash a satin
finish. If it does squeeze out around a button on a piano lid, I carefully
put a corner of cloth or paper towel down near it, and try to wick up the
extra -- and then I LEAVE IT ALONE, and don't wipe it at all! (don't ask ...)

I think by now I can say, empirically, that the Elmer's does not seem to
inhibit polymerization. It seems like a moderate accelerator. As far as I
know, no one has tested the strength of the bond of CA alone versus CA +
Elmer's, but my impression is that the white glue improves the CA bond
strength. I know that the only time I truly _had_ to go to the car to get
acetone, I had been gluing on a rubber button while I still had a trace of
white glue on my finger. My thumb and the side of my index finger got so
thoroughly stuck together I couldn't free them at all until I had worked in
several applications of acetone. With CA alone I can usually pull fingers
apart, possibly leaving a thin outer layer of skin behind.

Best,
Susan