Differences Between Pitch Raise and Fine Tuning?

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:10:12 -0500

>>Actually, I spend longer than that on most pitch corrections and find
that the fine tuning then takes less time for me.

I'll ditto that. I spend about 40-60 minutes on a PR and 10-15 on a
second pass. I don't try to get it too fine. What's the point? It won't
hold if I do.

Tell them to expect it to not be a fine tuning and for it to go out
quicker than normal. Then sell them on the second tuning. I picked up
the tip from someone on the list to go ahead and schedule the next
tuning in a month to get it stabilized in 6-8 weeks. I'm amazed at
peoples' willingness to do that.

I did a major PR last week (-230 cents) in about 70 minutes. At first
the customer balked at my price (almost double my normal rate). Instead
of trying to justify it in a very nice way I said she could probably
find somebody to do it cheaper. She had me do it, obviously. It really
helps to have the attitude that you are willing to walk away from the
job. I would have even been willing to supply her with a couple of names
that would do it cheaper, but it didn't come to that.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802