Baldwin Designs, etc. / Ron N.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:35:42 +1000

>I do use Locktite as well as the washer, though the last time I assembled
>one of these I couldn't find the Locktite so I ended up using some CA glue.
>Seemed to work fine.
>
>I am curious as to what people do when the original hole is too large.  You
>have to plug it, of course, and I suppose I would just cut a bunch of plugs
>out of pinblock material and stack them into the hole.  But after drilling
>the new hole for the socket screw, it would seem to make sense to tap the
>hole prior to trying to screw in the new socket screw.  The proximity to the
>rim presents a challenge for both in terms of speed.  The last time I
>installed these, without having to plug, I ended up taking a hacksaw to an
>allen wrench of appropriate dimension and chucking it into a brace which
>speeded up the process a bit (better than turning 12 or so screws in with a
>small allen wrench.  Other suggestions on how to deal with this would be
>appreciated.

David,

We cut a thread into the inner rim before fitting our plate dome nuts
(which have threaded rod lengths loctited into them with 680 grade
effectively to become bolts).

If you take a piece of threaded rod, of suitable length to clear the
top of the outer rim, you can grind a section of the end away to form
a primitive tap. This approach will work fine since we are only
cutting a thread into the inner-rim wood. You can lock two nuts onto
the top of the threaded rod for using a spanner or socket spanner
when thread cutting, or you can locktite a nut or weld it to the top
and keep it is a special tool.

The cut inner rim threads reduce the torque loading on the dome nuts
at assembly time, which keeps the plating looking un-mangled.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
   Grand piano manufacturers