Baldwin Designs, etc. / Ron N.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:45:43 -0500

> I do use Locktite as well as the washer, though the last time I assembled
> one of these I couldn't find the Locktite so I ended up using some CA glue.
> Seemed to work fine.
>
> I am curious as to what people do when the original hole is too large.  You
> have to plug it, of course, and I suppose I would just cut a bunch of plugs
> out of pinblock material and stack them into the hole.

I've used either dowels, or epoxy with no real problems.

>But after drilling
> the new hole for the socket screw, it would seem to make sense to tap the
> hole prior to trying to screw in the new socket screw.

A length of all thread (notched for effect) run into an
appropriately sized pilot with a drill motor serves as an adequate tap.

> The last time I
> installed these, without having to plug, I ended up taking a hacksaw to an
> allen wrench of appropriate dimension and chucking it into a brace which
> speeded up the process a bit (better than turning 12 or so screws in with a
> small allen wrench.  Other suggestions on how to deal with this would be
> appreciated.
>
> David Love

Here's what I use, Milwaukee 3/8" VSR driven.

Ron N

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: plate bolt tap.jpg
Type: image/jpeg