Unstable regulation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:46:19 -0400

My recommendation would be to order a set of action brackets (they won't =
cost you anything) so that you have them. Tell the owner about the =
action bracket problem YC has - that way they will be prepared for it. =
You could ask them if the other tech charged them to "regulate" the =
action - chances are s/he at least adjusted let-off. Note exactly what =
let-off is on sample notes (for instance, all the Cs). Then measure =
let-off on the sample notes every time you tune the piano. Tell the =
piano owner exactly what you are doing and why.

I keep an extra set of brackets on hand at all times - when I get =
another replacement job, I order a new set again.

You can also use the new action brackets to measure the old brackets to =
evaluate whether they have changed dimensions. Another way to tell if =
they have grown is to measure action spread and see if that has changed.

You can also tell them that YC may reimburse you for the bracket =
installation, but that the action will also very likely need a full =
regulation after action bracket replacement.

Terry Farrell