Unstable regulation

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:53:10 -0700

This is very helpful. Thanks. How does one contact YC about this these =
days?
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:46 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Unstable regulation

My recommendation would be to order a set of action brackets (they won't
cost you anything) so that you have them. Tell the owner about the =
action
bracket problem YC has - that way they will be prepared for it. You =
could
ask them if the other tech charged them to "regulate" the action - =
chances
are s/he at least adjusted let-off. Note exactly what let-off is on =
sample
notes (for instance, all the Cs). Then measure let-off on the sample =
notes
every time you tune the piano. Tell the piano owner exactly what you are
doing and why.
=20
I keep an extra set of brackets on hand at all times - when I get =
another
replacement job, I order a new set again.
=20
You can also use the new action brackets to measure the old brackets to
evaluate whether they have changed dimensions. Another way to tell if =
they
have grown is to measure action spread and see if that has changed.
=20
You can also tell them that YC may reimburse you for the bracket
installation, but that the action will also very likely need a full
regulation after action bracket replacement.
=20
Terry Farrell
=20
>I just tuned and did some really minor adjustments to a "G" series YC =
grand
> made in 1987. The only thing I noticed that may be indicative of this
> problem was that I had to tilt the action up a little in order to =
clear
the