You have received photos from Adobe Photoshop Album

Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C581A7.CC9DC3A0
Hello Mark and List
I did this on an old upright Bluthner very successfully. The knot in the =
speaking length of the string must have replaced the loss of copper =
covering to a degree. When replacing the string try taking it off the =
hitch and putting a full twist (in the tightening-up-the-covering =
direction) before replacing and tuning. Use "vise-grips" to help control =
it. Did you use the "reef-knot" method?
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Joe And Penny Goss" <imatunr@srvinet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: Bass String Splice

> Hi Mark, On original strings, only a little of the ends are swedged to
> tighten the winding and hold it in place.
> Universal strings on the other hand, I think, have a square shape or =
swedge
> to the entire core as one does not know where the ends of the wire =
will be,
> so it is necessary to have that as a part of their design. This is =
most
> likely why there is so much negative comment as to the sound of the
> universal replacement strings. There is more chance that there will be
> unequal segments in the core causing beating on a single string, thus
> causing a problem for the unison bichord.
> Joe Goss RPT
> Mother Goose Tools
> imatunr@srvinet.com
> www.mothergoosetools.com
> ----- Original Message -----=20

It now
>> has "zero" tone to it. It sounds as though it is being dampened
>> somewhere. (However, it is not!)
>> Could it be that too many windings were removed and it is now new
>> wire time?  (I removed about an inch of the copper)
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>>
>> Mark
>> Montbriand

Download Photoshop(R) Album 2.0 Starter Edition free to create your own =
photo slideshows!
http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition
------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C581A7.CC9DC3A0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C581A7.CC9DC3A0--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: bassstringrepair_0499.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 24300 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: bassstringrepair_0505.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 10724 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: maximb'day+bassstringrepair_0504.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 11567 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...