Stienway(Steinway) d-rolled bridge saga- report

Sat, 9 Jul 2005 20:59:53 +0100

Hey there! Hold hard! what's all this:  "especially on a work of art =
whose construction and design and function is shrouded is so much =
mysticism" bit Monseur Farrell? A work of "art" forsooth! When the =
strings have negative downbearing on the speaking side that's not a =
"work of art" that's a downright problem! What the pianists extract from =
the instrument is "art" - and in order that they should be able to do =
so, the instrument should conform to all the criteria of the S&S =
Workshop Manual. capisce?
(or am I not reading the message correctly? :-) )
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 2:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Stienway(Steinway) d-rolled bridge saga- report

  Oh David! Have no fear! My eyes bugged out when I read the original =
post. I was muttering all sorts of expletives to myself as I read much =
of it. But I didn't say too much for two reasons: 1) the original post =
indicated that Steinway reps were going to inspect the piano in the near =
future - so I figured let's let them take a look and see what they say; =
and 2) I wouldn't expect much better from them or any other manufacturer =
anyway - especially on a work of art whose construction and design and =
function is shrouded is so much mysticism.

  I had a similar experience when I bought a new 1098 back in the mid =
1990s. That piano had a full 1/4-inch of reverse soundboard crown, the =
pinblock was separated from the backposts (you could slip a business =
card down into the crack), and on several notes in the middle of the =
keyboard a little green man down inside the piano would come out every =
time you played one of those notes and would ring an annoying little =
bell.

  Both the dealer and Steinway techs said there was no problem with the =
reverse crown - I called NY several times asking to speak to a technical =
representative and two of the three I talked to did not know if Steinway =
pianos were supposed to have positive crown (concave on the =
rear/bottom). They did recognize the pinblock/backpost problem, but =
their solution was to simply route out a small groove on the pinblock =
top and glue in a strip of wood to cover up the crack (no clamps, no =
through-bolts, and most importantly - no new piano). The head of =
Steinway's concert techs (Patton I think, I forget his first name) from =
NY listened to the little bell man and after quite a bit of poking and =
prodding decided it was likely the v-bar casting and nothing could be =
done about it - however, the local dealer tech had the nerve to suggest =
that we would "get used to it".

  So no, this letter wasn't news to me, however it is indeed an =
interesting situation.

  So if you're looking for comments at this time, I'll bite - here goes!

  Lines with the ">>" are from David R's original post on this topic.

  >>Concerning the bridge/downbearing, let's keep an eye
  >>on this if the buzzes have been eliminated for the
  >>time being.=20

  Okay, here is our opening prayer that the problem will just go away by =
itself - or at least the piano owner will not notice it in the future.

  >>While it presents a situation to
  >>keep an eye on, I do not want to make an immediate
  >>pronouncement that there is something wrong there.=20

  Believe me, nor will they EVER "....make an immediate pronouncement =
that there is something wrong there." That's what voicing needles are =
for!

  >>The
  >>primary thing that manufacturers look for is
  >>the total composite bearing on the front and back
  >>combined. This should, of course, be a positive
  >>bearing.=20

  "Should" be positive bearing? Does this mean negative total bearing =
can be okay?

  >>Theoretically, there should be positive front
  >>and back bearing. However, pianos seldom conform to
  >>the theoretically correct.

  This was the ultimate. These words clearly suggest that seldom does a =
new piano have positive front AND back bearing. WOW! That's a mouthful. =
Think about that for a minute.=20

  Let me tell you: Every piano that I have put a new soundboard in has =
both front and rear positive bearing on every string! Not only that, the =
bearing on every string falls within a relatively narrow target range.=20

  I guess if you throw a bunch of spruce flitches, some glue, and some =
piano wire into a pot and stir it up, that would likely yield an =
assembly that "...seldom conform(s) to the theoretically correct." This =
is lunacy.

  >>I have taken many bearing
  >>measurements - on both good sounding and
  >>not-so-good sounding pianos. Some of the best sounding
  >>pianos have exhibited the measurements you describe
  >>below while some of the lesser sounding pianos
  >>are textbook perfect. The downward forces of the
  >>strings over the bridges (anywhere from 800 - 1100 lbs
  >>of force) cause each piano to develop its own
  >>unique shape.

  What that really means is that some pianos appear to survive the =
manufacturing process and seem okay when they go out the factory door. =
But some pianos have collapsed soundboards before they even leave the =
factory. They really put a half-ton of downbearing on a new Steinway? =
That's a whole lot!

  I guess this "unique (soundboard) shape" is likely a key to each piano =
having it's own personality.

  >>Sometimes that "settling" can be
  >>measured to exhibit what we technicians commonly cause
  >>bridge roll. That in itself is not a great cause
  >>for concern but rather a sign that we need to monitor
  >>this in case tonal issues arise consistently with a
  >>piano.

  What the &*%# is this crap? Just like we need to monitor a =
pinblock/back separation on a new piano? Maybe we just need to monitor =
it and if the plate doesn't crack and the piano fold up like a suitcase =
before the warranty period ends, we have no problem? Maybe here is the =
real application for CA and bridge pins - if the strings keep creeping =
up the bridge pins because of negative front bearing, tap the strings =
down and glue them in place with CA! Personally, such "settling" would =
indeed be a "great cause of concern" if that were my piano.

  >>In my experience, seating and leveling the strings,
  >>hammer filing, voicing meticulously, hammer spacing,
  >>and making sure the bridge pins are seated in
  >>the bridges alleviate any tonal problems 98% of the
  >>time. You MAY have one of the "2% pianos" there but
  >>let's wait and see if problems develop again
  >>before we determine a course of action.

  No. IMHO, this is a mis-statement. What really is meant is that you =
may be one of the 2% of piano owners that won't give up and won't =
believe all the crap excuses and hand waving and story telling that the =
manufacturer spews out in an effort to wear you down.

  BUT. As I stated earlier. Let's not jump to any conclusions. Let's =
wait to hear what transpires during the upcoming inspection......  ;-)

  Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: "David Skolnik" <davidskolnik@optonline.net>