Spinet Bass String

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

I was just talking about replacing a few.  I did not realize that customs don't cost that much more than universals.  So, let me ask you....

What if you are replacing a bass string in a clients piano say 50 miles away.  You have your regular service charge.  So when you go and get the old string out you must make another service call once you have the duplicate string back.  That sounds a lot more expensive to me.  Plus the extra charge for the distance.  I don't get where a custom string is not that much more cost than a universal.  Especially since I would also add the charges for the shipping to and from the factory to get the string, etc.  What are your price differences between a single universal and custom string replacement?  I am still working with setting prices, so maybe I am missing a lot, but I would like to know what.

Thanks!
Matthew

Avery Todd <avery1@houston.rr.com> wrote:
Matthew,

All the responses I've read notwithstanding, I got the impression
from your post that
you were going to be replacing an entire set of bass strings? Did I
read you wrong?

If a set, yes, definitely remove the action with all warnings
necessary to the customer.
If only one or two, use the safety pin method someone mentioned. It's
a great way to
replace one/two on any vertical. But universals????? :-( :-( :-( They
don't cost all
"that" much to have them duplicated and you'll probably make up the
difference in the
time saved from unwinding, cutting to length, etc. JMO.

Avery